Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Monday, 2 May 2016
The Most Important Report Ever - Human Extinction's Possibility
“A typical person is more than five times as likely to die in an extinction event as in a car crash,” says a new report.
The risk of human extinction due to climate change—or an accidental nuclear war—is much higher than that. The Stern Review, the U.K. government’s premier report on the economics of climate change, estimated a 0.1 percent risk of human extinction every year. That may sound low, but it also adds up when extrapolated to century-scale. The Global Challenges Foundation estimates a 9.5 percent chance of human extinction within the next hundred years.
And that number probably underestimates the risk of dying in any global cataclysm. The Stern Review, whose math suggests the 9.5-percent number, only calculated the danger of species-wide extinction. The Global Challenges Foundation’s report is concerned with all events that would wipe out more than 10 percent of Earth’s human population.
“We don’t expect any of the events that we describe to happen in any 10-year period. They might—but, on balance, they probably won’t,” Sebastian Farquhar, the director of the Global Priorities Project, told me. “But there’s lots of events that we think are unlikely that we still prepare for.”
- Today's ENERGY News -May 25, 2015
- Unbelievable Wildfires Torment #Russia
- Today's ENERGY News - May 24, 2016
- Earthlings: "Our Planet's Poles Are Shifting"
- Today's ENERGY News - May 23, 2016
- EYE on the World - A World of Troubles
- NOT GOOD: Global Heat Wave Hits Fourth Record -Bre...
- Today's ENERGY News - 20 May 2016
- Scientists Fear Unprecedented Mangrove Dieback
- Today's ENERGY News - 19 May 2016
- Yemen: Another Country Facing Starvation
- Today's ENERGY News - 18 May 2016
- "Where Have All the Bees Gone?"
- Today's ENERGY News - 17 May 2016
- Ocean Acidification Creates Killer Seas of Extinct...
- Today's ENERGY News - 16 May 2016
- Spring 2016 - What's Going-on in #Egypt?
- Today's ENERGY News - 6 May 2016
- Cheaper Solar Adds to Coal's End Game
- Today's ENERGY News - 5 May 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 4 May 2016
- Historic Wildfires Siege 70,000 Fort McMurray Resi...
- Jet Stream Dominoes of #Melting Ice
- Today's ENERGY News - 3 May 2016
- The Most Important Report Ever - Human Extinction'...
- Peak Oil Today - 2 May 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - May 2 2016
- Climate Change Threat to Food System
- ▼ May (28)
- ► 2015 (19)