Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Tuesday, 17 May 2016
Today's ENERGY News - 17 May 2016
Data suggests that oil producers need prices in the $70-80 range to survive. That is unlikely in the next year or so. Without more timely price relief, the future looks grim for an industry on life support. EIA Revises Consumption Upward Major EIA revisions to world oil consumption* data provide a new perspective on oil-market balance. The world was over-supplied by only 570 kbpd of liquids in April compared to EIA’s earlier estimate for March of 1,450 kbpd; that March estimate has now been revised downward to 970 kbpd (Figure 1). February’s over-supply has been revised downward from 1,180 to 240 kbpd. These revisions indicate that oil markets are much closer to balance than previously thought . (Click to enlarge) Figure 1. EIA world liquids market balance (supply minus consumption). Source: EIA and Labyrinth Consulting Services, Inc. The EIA adjusted world consumption growth for 2016 upward […]
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry backed providing weapons to Libya’s unity government to assist in the fight against Islamic State and other jihadist groups, a move endorsed at a meeting of top diplomats of nations from Italy and the U.K. to Russia and Saudi Arabia. The idea “makes sense,” Kerry said after talks in Vienna with the head of the unity administration, Fayez al-Sarraj, and representatives of more than 20 nations. Sarraj said his Government of National Accord would supply the United Nations with a list of weapons it needs “as soon as possible.” The UN would have to provide exemptions to an arms embargo before weapons could be shipped. The envoys met in the Austrian capital to discuss ways to bolster Sarraj’s UN-backed government, the most significant attempt so far to end the violence that has fractured Libya since the ouster of former leader Muammar Qaddafi in […]
After 41 Years One of the great mysteries of the $13.4 trillion Treasuries market has been solved after more than 41 years. The Treasury Department on Monday released a breakdown of Saudi Arabia’s holdings of U.S. debt, ending a longstanding policy of keeping the figures secret. The stockpile of the world’s biggest oil exporter stood at $116.8 billion as of March, up from $82.7 billion two years earlier, according to data disclosed in response to a Freedom-of-Information Act request filed by Bloomberg News. The sum ranks the […]
By morning, three newborns were already dead. The day had begun with the usual hazards: chronic shortages of antibiotics, intravenous solutions, even food. Then a blackout swept over the city, shutting down the respirators in the maternity ward. Doctors kept ailing infants alive by pumping air into their lungs by hand for hours. By nightfall, four more newborns had died. “The death of a baby is our daily bread,” said Dr. Osleidy Camejo, a surgeon in the nation’s capital, Caracas, referring to the toll from Venezuela’s collapsing hospitals. The economic crisis in this country has exploded into a public health emergency, claiming the lives of untold numbers of Venezuelans. It is just part of a larger unraveling here that has become so severe it has prompted President Nicolás Maduro to impose a state of emergency […]
While strong when compared with other sovereign credit ratings, Saudi Arabia’s fiscal health remains under threat from low oil prices, Moody’s said. Moody’s Investors Service said the drop in crude oil prices, off more than 50 percent since the middle of 2014, has undermined the economy and finances for Saudi Arabia. As a result, the long-term rating for the country was lowered one notch from Aa3 to A1. According to Moody’s, Saudi Arabia’s nominal gross domestic product declined around 13 percent last year and should shrink another 5 percent in 2016. Though crude oil prices have recovered strongly so far this year, the ratings agency said it will be another three years before the Saudi economy returns to […]
- Today's ENERGY News -May 25, 2015
- Unbelievable Wildfires Torment #Russia
- Today's ENERGY News - May 24, 2016
- Earthlings: "Our Planet's Poles Are Shifting"
- Today's ENERGY News - May 23, 2016
- EYE on the World - A World of Troubles
- NOT GOOD: Global Heat Wave Hits Fourth Record -Bre...
- Today's ENERGY News - 20 May 2016
- Scientists Fear Unprecedented Mangrove Dieback
- Today's ENERGY News - 19 May 2016
- Yemen: Another Country Facing Starvation
- Today's ENERGY News - 18 May 2016
- "Where Have All the Bees Gone?"
- Today's ENERGY News - 17 May 2016
- Ocean Acidification Creates Killer Seas of Extinct...
- Today's ENERGY News - 16 May 2016
- Spring 2016 - What's Going-on in #Egypt?
- Today's ENERGY News - 6 May 2016
- Cheaper Solar Adds to Coal's End Game
- Today's ENERGY News - 5 May 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 4 May 2016
- Historic Wildfires Siege 70,000 Fort McMurray Resi...
- Jet Stream Dominoes of #Melting Ice
- Today's ENERGY News - 3 May 2016
- The Most Important Report Ever - Human Extinction'...
- Peak Oil Today - 2 May 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - May 2 2016
- Climate Change Threat to Food System
- ▼ May (28)
- ► 2015 (19)