Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Monday, 20 June 2016
Signs of "The New Cold War"
These days, lamenting the apparently aimless character of Washington’s military operations in the Greater Middle East has become conventional wisdom among administration critics of every sort. Senator John McCain thunders that “this president has no strategy to successfully reverse the tide of slaughter and mayhem” in that region. Anthony Cordesman of the Center for Strategic and International Studies bemoans the “lack of a viable and public strategy.” Andrew Bacevich suggeststhat “there is no strategy. None. Zilch.”
After 15 years of grinding war with no obvious end in sight, U.S. military operations certainly deserve such obloquy. But the pundit outrage may be misplaced. Focusing on Washington rather than on distant war zones, it becomes clear that the military establishment does indeed have a strategy, a highly successful one, which is to protect and enhance its own prosperity.
Given this focus, creating and maintaining an effective fighting force becomes a secondary consideration, reflecting a relative disinterest — remarkable to outsiders — in the actual business of war, as opposed to the business of raking in dollars for the Pentagon and its industrial and political partners. A key element of the strategy involves seeding the military budget with “development” projects that require little initial outlay but which, down the line, grow irreversibly into massive, immensely profitable production contracts for our weapons-making cartels.
- Today's ENERGY News - 28 June 2016
- Hot Houses Gas Rockets Over 2015
- Today's ENERGY News - 27 June 2016
- EYE on the World - Turning Upside Down
- Today's ENERGY News - 24 June 2016
- Beautiful #Orcas Starving
- Today's ENERGY News - 23 June 2016
- Looking To Past For Climate Event Future
- Today's ENERGY News - 22 June 2016
- 66 Million Years Record Set For Carbon Emissions
- Today's ENERGY News - 21 June 2016
- Extreme Heat Sets New Records
- Signs of "The New Cold War"
- Today's ENERGY News - 20 June 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 17 June 2016
- One Last Hope In Canadian Forests
- Today's ENERGY News - 16 June 2016
- Record Temperatures Hit Tropical Siberian Paradise...
- Today's ENERGY News - 15 June 2016
- Look Out - Here Comes Summer
- Today's ENERGY News - 14 June 2016
- Who Cares About #Flint M.I.???
- Sea Ice #Decline Accelerating Rapidly
- Today's ENERGY News - 13 June 2016
- EYE on the World - Concerns and Risks Rise
- Southern Europe Faces #Zika Risk In Summer
- Today's ENERGY News - 10 June 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 9 June 2016
- US Health Care Huge Source Of Greenhouse Gases
- Days Of "Normal Weather" Are Numbered
- Today's ENERGY News - 8 June 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 7 June 2016
- More Dangerous Storms And High Seas Coming
- Today's ENERGY News - 6 June 2016
- Coral Reefs On Life Support
- ▼ June (35)
- ► 2015 (19)