Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Monday, 5 September 2016
Climate Already Creating Coastal Flooding Issues
Flooding of U.S. coast, caused by global
warming, has already begun –
‘Ultimately, we give up and we leave. That’s how the story ends.’
NORFOLK, Va. — Huge vertical rulers are sprouting beside low spots in the streets here, so people can judge if the tidal floods that increasingly inundate their roads are too deep to drive through.
Five hundred miles down the Atlantic Coast, the only road to Tybee Island, Ga., is disappearing beneath the sea several times a year, cutting the town off from the mainland.
And another 500 miles on, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., increased tidal flooding is forcing the city to spend millions fixing battered roads and drains — and, at times, to send out giant vacuum trucks to suck saltwater off the streets.
For decades, as the global warming created by human emissions caused land ice to melt and ocean water to expand, scientists warned that the accelerating rise of the sea would eventually imperil the United States’ coastline.
Now, those warnings are no longer theoretical: The inundation of the coast has begun. The sea has crept up to the point that a high tide and a brisk wind are all it takes to send water pouring into streets and homes.
Federal scientists have documented a sharp jump in this nuisance flooding — often called “sunny-day flooding” — along both the East Coast and the Gulf Coast in recent years. The sea is now so near the brim in many places that they believe the problem is likely to worsen quickly. Shifts in the Pacific Ocean mean that the West Coast, partly spared over the past two decades, may be hit hard, too.
These tidal floods are often just a foot or two deep, but they can stop traffic, swamp basements, damage cars, kill lawns and forests, and poison wells with salt. Moreover, the high seas interfere with the drainage of storm water.
- US Military Puts #Climate On Top Security Agenda
- Today's ENERGY News - 15 September 2016
- Trade Deals Usurp #Sovereign Democracies and Autho...
- Today's ENERGY News - 14 September 2016
- EYE on the World - "Teacher Seeks Pupil" - Ishmael...
- Increasing #GDP Does Not Create More Happier Campe...
- Today's ENERGY News - 13 September 2016
- Is Sixth #Extinction Underway?
- Today's ENERGY News - 12 September 216
- Today's ENERGY News - 9 September 2016
- Future Grid Electricity Cannot Rely On Intermitten...
- ISHMAEL: Without #Gorilla Will There Be Hope For M...
- Today's ENERGY News -8 September 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 7 September 2016
- #MIT Confirms Human Role In Ocean Acidification
- Today's ENERGY News - 6 September 2016
- #Overpopulation Pushes Us Far Beyond Earth's Human...
- ÈYE on the World - Intergalactic Fire Sale
- Today's ENERGY News - 5 September 2016
- Climate Already Creating Coastal Flooding Issues
- Today's ENERGY News - 2 September 2016
- Soon The Elephants May Be Gone...
- No Urban Disaster Plans For Climate Events
- Renewable Energy Just A Trendy Oxymoron, That Is A...
- Today's ENERGY News - 1 September 2016
- ▼ September (25)
- ► 2015 (19)