Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Sunday, 24 April 2016
More Woes for Schlumberger
Less spending on oil and gas exploration taking its toll on one of the sector's largest companies.
HOUSTON, April 22 (UPI) -- Schlumberger, the largest oil field services company in the world, said its first quarter revenue experienced one of its sharpest declines since 2014.
The company said revenue through March 31 was $6.5 billion, a 16 percent drop from the previous quarter and 36 percent lower year-on-year.
Chairman and CEO Paal Kibsgaard said in a statement the sequential decrease was one of the largest since crude oil prices started moving sharply lower near the end of 2014.
"This was driven by a continuing drop in activity and persistent pricing pressure throughout our global operations as well as from project delays, job cancellations and activity disruptions," he said.
Lower crude oil prices, off about 60 percent from the 2014 highs, have left energy companies with less capital to invest in exploration and production activity, the side of the industry companies like Schlumberger serve.
In North America alone, Kibsgaard said the inland rig count was about 80 percent lower than it was in October 2014. First quarter revenue for Schlumberger in North America was $1.5 billion, a 25 percent decline from fourth quarter 2014.
Last month, Kibsgaard told industry leaders at an energy conference in New Orleanscorporate evolution from the services sector may be a necessity. Project performance, he said, can only be improved by leaving the downturn behind and adopting a new approach "based on collaboration and commercial alignment between the operators and the largest service companies."
In its quarterly statement, Schlumberger outlined details of three separate mergers during the first quarter, including the $1.24 billion deal with its smaller industry counterpart Cameron International Corp.
Looking forward, Kibsgaard said he expected spending cuts in exploration and production would be sharper than previously expected, even though there's been a recovery in crude oil prices he said was triggered by supply disruptions, like last weekend's strike in Kuwait, and talks of a production freeze among major oil states.
"We will continue to tailor costs and resources to activity, while remaining cautious in adding back capacity given the unpredictable nature of the current market," he said.
- #England Mourns Passing of Golden Eagle
- EYE on the World - 30 April 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 29 April 2016
- The Nuclear Taboo - Rethinking Armageddon
- Today's ENERGY News - 28 April 2016
- Climate Change Dramatically Affects Africa
- Today's ENERGY News - 27 April 2016
- Believe it or Not; #India Cooks at Unbelievable 45...
- Today's ENERGY News - 26 April 2016
- Just Awful: "Beautiful Cambodian Tigers Functional...
- Peak Oil Today - 25 April 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 25 April 2016
- Goldman Sachs Pegs $20-40 as New #Oil Order Range
- EYE on the World - 23 April 2016
- More Woes for Schlumberger
- Education of Women Key To Advancing Human Conditio...
- Today's ENERGY News - 22 April 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 21 April 2016
- Harvard Study: Now Methane Causes Worse Impact on ...
- Today's ENERGY News - 20 April 2016
- Invisible Hand Defeated OPEC Cartel?
- Today's ENERGY News - 19 April 2016
- Peak Oil Today - 18 April 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 18 April 2016
- Oil Slides as Hope Fades for Doha Agreement
- At Last OPEC No Longer Drives the Bus
- EYE on the World - 15 April 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 15, 2015
- Traders Look for Lower Oil Prices
- Today's ENERGY News - April 14, 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 13, 2016
- BULLS Lead BIG Charge in #Crude
- Today's ENERGY News - April 12, 2016
- Peak Oil Today - April 11, 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 11, 2016
- #OMG Oil Tankers Cause Traffic Jam Near Iraq
- EIA Data Bullish Oil Prices Rise
- EYE on the World - Streetcars With Many Names
- Today's ENERGY News - April 8, 2016
- ALERT: Natural Gas Prices Positioned for Huge Jump...
- Today's ENERGY News - April 7, 2016
- Real Estate #Calgary Prices in Tailspin
- Today's ENERGY News - April 6, 2016
- Coal Prices Slump with Asian Demand
- Today's ENERGY News - April 5, 2016
- Electric Cars Leading the Conversion
- Peak Oil Today - April 4, 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 4, 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - April 1, 2016
- EYE on the World - Our Hometowns
- ▼ April (50)
- ► 2015 (19)