Live World Indices are powered by Investing.com
Thursday, 11 August 2016
Overpopulation Setting Stage For Humanity's Final Chapter
The world’s population is topsy-turvy, and its exponential and uneven growth could have disastrous consequences if we aren’t ready for it. Humanity recently hit a benchmark, a population of 7.9 billion in2013. It is expected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030, and 9.6 billion by 2050. If that weren’t enough, consider 11.2 billion in 2100. Most of the growth is supposed to come from nine specific countries: India, Pakistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Nigeria, the United States, and Indonesia.
It isn’t fertility that is driving growth, but rather longer lifespans. World population growth peaked in the 1960s, and has been dropping steadily since the ’70s. 1.24% was the growth rate a decade ago, annually. Today, it is 1.18% per year.
Populations in developed countries have slowed to a trickle. Here, it has gotten too expensive to have a child for a large segment of the populace, particularly in the wake of the Great Recession, when young people have to invest a lot of time in education and building a career, spending their most fertile years in lecture halls and office cubicles. Although overall, fertility has been dropping worldwide, the report says researchers used the “low-variant” scenario of population growth. It could be higher.
How Did We Get so Big, So Fast
Anthrax outbreak triggered by climate change kills boy in Arctic Circle
Seventy-two nomadic herders, including 41 children, were hospitalised in far north Russia after the region began experiencing abnormally high temperatures
Indonesian seaweed farmers launch class action over Montara oil spill
"Our investigations show that the operator of the oil rig has a serious case to answer for cutting corners that endangered lives, the environment and the livelihoods of thousands of seaweed farmers,"
business/world-business/ indonesian-seaweed-farmers- launch-class-action-over- montara-oil-spill-20160801- gqitj0.html
AGL invests in world’s largest battery storage virtual power plant
The project will comprise a centrally controlled network of 1,000 residential and business battery storage systems with a combined total of 7MWh capacity that will both store rooftop solar power and help manage grid stability in the state.
- Chile Solar Electricity Cheapest Of All
- Today's ENERGY News - 31 August 2016
- Climate Causing Thousands Of Yellowstone Fish To G...
- Today's ENERGY News - 30 August 2016
- EYE on the World - Global Physics: An Unsustainabl...
- Angry Scientists Demand Climate Action
- Today's ENERGY News - 29 August 2016
- We Are Running Out of Natural Resources - Now What...
- Today's ENERGY News - 19 August 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 18 August 2016
- Alaskans Shocked By Front-line Climate Change Outc...
- Today's ENERGY News - 17 August 2016
- Zombie Carbon Destroys Climate Change Metrics
- Today's ENERGY News - 16 August 2016
- Scotland On Path To Completely Ditching Fossil Fue...
- Today's ENERGY News - 15 August 2016
- NASA Confirms July Set All Time Record Hot Tempera...
- EYE on the World - Old Chinese Curse...
- Today's ENERGY News - 12 August 2016
- Climate Terrors Add To Growing Migrant Crisis
- El Niño Has Crossed The Rubicon - " Veni,vidi, vic...
- Today's ENERGY News - 11 August 2016
- Overpopulation Setting Stage For Humanity's Final ...
- Today's ENERGY News - 10 August 2016
- Catholic Popes Should Not Throw Stones From A Glas...
- Today's ENERGY News - 9 August 2016
- EYE on the World - Climate Encounters of a Third K...
- Today's ENERGY News - 8 August 2016
- Ocean Acidification And Temperature Seriously Affe...
- Earth In Midst Of Massive Permian-Type Climate Cri...
- Today's ENERGY News - 5 August 2016
- First Big Climate Waves Set For #Norfolk VA
- Today's ENERGY News - 4 August 2016
- Clouds Over Poles To Trigger Food And Water Shocks...
- Today's ENERGY News - 3 August 2016
- Venezuela's Desperate People Facing Famine's Horse...
- Today's ENERGY News - 2 August 2016
- Today's ENERGY News - 1 August 2016
- Scientists Caught Off Guard By Scorching Global He...
- ▼ August (39)
- ► 2015 (19)